Plan and Manage Care (PCSP)
Why is this important?
From a patient's perspective, navigating health care can feel like wandering alone in a maze. Specialty practices develop patient-centered care plans in collaboration with patients/caregivers and referring clinicians to help coordinate and direct care.
Specialty practices play a unique role in health care. Not only must specialty practices engage patients and their family/caregivers, but the team also needs to coordinate and collaborate with referring clinicians and their teams. To do so effectively requires planning and careful management of patient care.
How will these tools help?
The questions based on the NCQA PCSP Standards and Guidelines will assess whether your practice meets various competencies of patient-centered care and the foundations of the medical neighborhood. Depending on your responses to the questions, resources from the Resource Library will be presented to help your practice address any gaps identified. Among the tools are policy templates that your office can customize and use to train personnel and guide new processes.
This module will help with the NCQA Patient-Centered Specialty Practice Standards and Guidelines (2019 Edition, V1).
To achieve recognition in the PCSP program, practices must:
- Meet all 38 core criteria in the program PLUS
- Earn a minimum of 20 (of possible 72) elective credits across 5 (of 7) concept areas.
The 7 concept areas, that include core and elective criteria in different competency categories, are as follows:
- Team-Based Care and Practice Organization (5 core criteria, 3 elective criteria)
- Initial Referral Management (8 core criteria, 11 elective criteria)
- Knowing and Managing Your Patients (8 core criteria, 13 elective criteria)
- Patient-Centered Access and Continuity (3 core criteria, 3 elective criteria)
- Plan and Manage Care (6 core criteria, 12 elective criteria)
- Coordinating Care and Care Transitions (5 core criteria, 8 elective criteria)
- Performance and Quality Improvement (3 core criteria, 10 elective criteria)
For more details about requirements for each criteria within the concept areas, refer to the complete NCQA Patient-Centered Specialty Practice Standards & Guidelines which can be downloaded for free.
Practice Advisor Content Manager
Jillian Schneider, MHA
Manager Practice Support, American College of Physicians
- 1.00 Attendance